In honor of the Windows 8 launch, I wanted to share some of my favorite resources to be found in regards to Dynamics CRM 2011 and Windows 8. These articles are written by some of the best and brightest in the CRM Community. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort which was taken to test, retest and understand the nuances of this new OS and its impact on Dynamics CRM 2011.
The first item is from Microsoft Support. This KB article provides information in regard to support for Dynamics CRM 2011 and Windows 8
Next up are a couple of blog posts from Jukka Niranen. His blog, “Surviving CRM” is one that I recommend everyone add to the Favorites. You can follow Jukka on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jukkan.
- http://niiranen.eu/crm/2012/07/making-dynamics-crm-exclusive-again-with-windows-8-metro/ – This post provides insight and analysis on the potential for Windows 8, CRM 2011 and the rest of the Microsoft stack not only for the consumer, but the enterprise user as well.
- http://niiranen.eu/crm/2012/08/windows-8-office-2013-and-dynamics-crm-outlook-clien/ – This post reviews a “test drive” of Dynamics CRM 2011 installed within Outlook 2013, running on Windows 8.
Staying with “test drives”, the next blog post is from Ben Hosking. Ben’s blog, “Hosk’s Dynamic CRM 2011 Blog” is another favorite of mine. You can follow Ben on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/BenHosk
- http://crmbusiness.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/crm-2011-adding-the-outlook-add-on-windows-8-needs-windows-identity-foundation-manually-enabling/ – This post reviews how to manually enable Windows Identity Foundation within Windows 8 to resolve an error presented by the CRM Outlook add-in when trying to run on Windows 8
Next, a blog post from the Magnetism team. You can follow them on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/MagnetismNZ.
- http://www.magnetism.co.nz/blog/paul-nieuwelaars-blog/2012/09/09/Dynamics-CRM-2011-with-Windows-8-Server-and-SQL-2012 – This post, written by Paul Nieuwelaar, walks through some of the issues faced and their resolutions during the setup of Dynamics CRM 2011 with Windows 8 server and SQL 2012
Last, a blog post from Daniel Cai, CRM MVP. You can follow him on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/danielcai
- http://danielcai.blogspot.com/2012/05/install-crm-2011-on-windows-server-8.html – This post is another take on installing Dynamics CRM 2011 on Windows 8 Server, which includes some workarounds Daniel used to make it work.
I hope these posts help you understand what can be done with Dynamics CRM and Windows 8 and possibly bring to light some great blogs that should be in your regular rotation. Thanks to Jukka, Ben, Daniel and the Magnetism team for sharing their experiences with the CRM Community!